Featured on this week’s show is Valerie Jarrett, a democratic strategist and one of the closest friends of Barack and Michelle Obama. Valerie will share her perspective and support of Americans with disabilities, during National Disability Employment Awareness Month.
Bio of Valerie Jarrett:
- Prior to her time in DC, served as the chief executive officer of The Habitat Company.
· Served as co-chair of the Obama-Biden Presidential Transition Team, and senior advisor to Obama's presidential campaign.
- Has held positions in both the public and private sectors, including chairman of the Chicago Transit Board, commissioner of Planning and Development for the City of Chicago, and deputy chief of staff for Mayor Richard M. Daley.
- Practiced law in two private law firms.
· Served as a director of corporate and not-for-profit boards, including chairman of the board of the Chicago Stock Exchange, director of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, and chairman of the University Of Chicago Medical Center Board Of Trustees.
Joyce A. Bender Career Highlights:
- President and CEO of Bender Consulting Services, Inc. and Bender Consulting Services of Canada
- A woman living with epilepsy and a hearing loss
- Advocate for competitive employment for people with disabilities
· Chair of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)
- Immediate Past Chair of the national Epilepsy Foundation
- Recipient of the 1999 President’s Award from President Clinton
- Recipient of the 2003 New Freedom Initiative Award from the Bush Administration
November 6, 2012Joyce welcomes Phil Gattone, the new CEO of the national Epilepsy Foundation. As November is National Epilepsy Month, Mr. Gattone will discuss the foundation’s efforts to promote public awareness of the condition and end the stigma that is often associated with it.